Founded in 1959, the Galerie Neue Meister is the youngest of the museums of the Dresden State Art Collections. Originally built as an arsenal, it was converted into a museum building at the end of the 19th century. The name Albertinum goes back to King Albert of Saxony (reigned 1873 – 1902). Today, the 5,650 sq m picture gallery exhibits around 3,000 works of painting – from Romanticism to the present day.
Customer request and order:
In the course of the renovation of the building in 2009/2010, the candelabras on the world-famous Brühlsche Terrasse were to be refurbished and equipped with state-of-the-art LED lighting technology. The Free State of Saxony supported the measure.
The solution from BRAUN:
Since its reopening in 2010, the Albertinum in Dresden has shone in new historical LED light. The existing candelabras were extensively restored in line with historical preservation and the luminaire units equipped with modern LED modules. A special technical feature is the LED spotlights integrated in the upper part of the luminaires for illuminating the facades of the Albertinum. This combined solution enables the illumination of outdoor facilities and the facade.
The LED lamps produce an even and warm, white-light color reminiscent of Dresden’s former gas lighting. The contours of the building are illuminated in accordance with historical preservation and are easily recognizable by the high color rendering index. In addition to aesthetics, the luminaires also score well in terms of environmental friendliness. Energy consumption and CO2 emissions were reduced by more than 50 percent following the conversion.